Friday, August 13, 2010

Esta, aqui (en Ecuador)

It's finally real... I'm really here in Ecuador. I knew I was excited when I woke up at 6am yesterday and couldn't go back to sleep. The flight was so simple... it only took about 4 1/2 hours of actual air time. The airport and passport control were fast, despite a small size and many people (mostly tourists). One of the school's secretaries and her son met me and drove me out of the city to their house, where she lives with her elderly grandparents. They put me in my own suite - seperate from the house and with everything i could need.

It's cold here - about 48 F when I arrived. I slept under all the blankets and with a hoodie. When I woke up I went into the house and their maid (!) had my breakfast all ready and laid out... cut papaya, watermelon, banana; fresh-squeezed orange juice and bread. She heated milk for my coffee and made me an egg. While I ate, the grandmother and grandfather came and introduced themselves... they speak English but are nervous. They are very kind. The grandfather is adorable... slender and busy working in the yard/garden area... barely smelling of sweat but all dressed up in nice pants, button-up shirt, vest, and a little hat. The grandmother is in a dress with pearl earrings.

We are in "the valley", but I can see Quito from here. Huge mountains and volcanoes... there is a small canal running down the side of their yard that is used for local irrigation... they have a pump that pulls from it to water their flowers.

We are supposed to go to town to meet the secretary's boyfriend and his children for lunch, and they are going to show me around. HOPEFULLY I will figure out the name of my hostess! How embarrassing.

No comments: