Monday, August 16, 2010

"La Gringita"

They call me "la gringita," (the little white girl). Ha. Okay. So it's true!

Saturday I had a "cafecito" with the grandparents... tried an agua that has pineapple and oatmeal in it... a little different, but not bad. I also had my first, homeade Ecuadorian tamale, with more vegetables than the Mexican kind. The grandfather cleaned up the plates and the grandmother and I went upstairs and watched "Take the Lead." She showed me some of her incredible art... she makes icons, picture frames, and boxes.

One of the grandmother's hand-made icons
Sunday another new teacher (staying with family) and I went to the Middle of the World. We then had a crazy latin family dinner and a late cafecito. Who knew that powdered Nescafe could be so good? Today Heather and I went to Cumbaya and explored a little... we had coffee with Juan Valdez, a REALLY good lunch del mar, and tried our first Ecuadorian beers.
Walking down Latitude 0'0
I want to live life fully and not hold back... the thrill of being here and loving every new little moment is not worth sticking to something just 'cause you feel safe and comfortable. Que sera, sera. Whatever will be, will be. I don't know what I will do later... but for now I'm drunk on this beauty, and happy.

Pilsener with a view of the mountains

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the grandmother's iconic artwork. Beautiful!
~Rachel