No puedo leer tu mente. Pero... sometimes I have to.
Los estudiantes:
- Mr. Blank face, mouth hanging open - (probably not listening, doesn't know which planet we're on)
- Miss text queen/note queen -(probably gossiping about the latest school crushes)
En la calle:
- Mr. leer-you-out-and-hiss-at-you-while-adjusting-himself - (typical machismo... go home so your mommy can iron your underwear, 40-year-old!)
- Ms. knock-you-out-of-the-way-while-glaring-at-you - (honey, it's a free country - if you're jealous, sorry for ya; if you think you're better, don't stare!)
- Ms. size-2-6-inch-diameter-thighs (honey, just 'cause you're born that way doesn't mean you're better than me. At least I have curves. Your always-tight pants/leggings don't make the camel toe look sexy. And stop calling me "la gordita", my dear "ignoranta.")
En MI terraza:
- "My plan for life is to find and marry a girl like you." (WTF!)
- answer: "I know you say that to all the gringas" (the friend rolling on the ground laughing proved me right).
- "No estoy racista" = (you are!!!)
- "I've had black guys put a gun to my head 8 times" (You think this will impress me; you watch too many movies, and if it ever actually happened, it's only because you were on about 3 different things and high outta your mind!, you think your imagination excuses your prejudice, and this proves how little you've been exposed to people different than you)
This seems to be my life, for 2 more months. Walking with my cell phone in my bra, my money and keys in my boots. Trying to blend in, but having to defend and explain myself every time I open my stuttering mouth. Fighting to find sunshine and stay happy in a city where people rarely smile or show courtesy; exhausted from the ingrained prejudice and ignorance. Sick of momma's boys, and the girls who never question the machismo and let the men walk all over them. Fed up with a culture of men who think that they have to call the gays "maricones" in order to prove that they are "real men." (Really? Straight women don't seem to be threatened by lesbians; we don't think we will be infected by sitting around them, or that being around them incriminates us). Bored with a culture that thinks they are superior to all, yet know little of others cultures (Although, this could be some in the U.S., too).
Yes, there are exceptions. Yes, my students and the sunshine makes me smile. Yes, I find things to laugh at. But I'm ready to go home. 2 months from today!
No comments:
Post a Comment