Sometimes we take gambles in life. Ecuador was my gamble, and though it was a hard hit, it's not a complete loss. I've learned a lot of Spanish (or figured out how to use cave-man sign language when I can't); become a better teacher; made a few friends; visited a new continent (hell, a new hemisphere); lived at 10,000 feet for over 10 months; tried new things, pushed myself to change; and gained confidence (don't you DARE try to steal my taxi or charge me too much!). I've learned that this is not the place for me, and that Atlanta is home.
When I get home, there are some things I don't think I will complain about for a long time: proximity to family; being able to leave work at work (most of the time vs. never); real friends; generally open-minded and educated people (who've progressed past the stage of the thinking skin color affects class); general public respect and common courtesy; the ability to say whatever I want to whoever I want; familiar customs; REAL graffiti; insulation in buildings; the independence of my own car; any kind of music 'sides reggaeton; happy diversity and availability of peoples, cultures, lifestyles, and food. Atlanta... I'm COMING HOME.
No comments:
Post a Comment