Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Juggler

I am a Juggler;
I wear a mask,
A mask with a huge grin.
A frozen smile,
Forcing me to keep dancing.
The mask hides the mistakes,
The anonymity shields tears and ecstasies.
Yet now this façade that has become my reality.
In my nightmares the mask cannot be removed;
Am I my mask as well?

I am a juggler;
“A paid entertainer.”
They are my fans and my critics
They can laugh and jeer,
Yawn and walk away.
I can only absorb and bewilder.
(There are some,
Some that watch.
Their eyes never leave the balls
Their eyes see every flip of my wrists
Their eyes ask questions.)

A Juggler –
Tossing balls,
Adding more and more.
The secret thrill of the challenge jades
The pride of stirring my audience.
Each ball is a little life,
I refuse to allow failure.
Confession: behind this plaster grin,
I admit – I care for my mini-audience (so)
I study them through the slits of my mask as
I juggle these balls for them.

- Fall 2008 (Inspired by a First Year of Teaching)

Ashley Garner
am i my mask as well?
This is sooooo good! I haven't written in so long and you inspire me, because I love how metaphors help you explain, but also understand yourself. And then other ppl read it and understand you and themselves better too.... We all wear some sort of mask. :)
I love you lady and am so happy to know you. 
Oksana Agapova ‎=))) I think you are not just juggling for them, you are juggling them =)) I love the metaphor =))
Rachel Beetschen I love it. I am learning this year that wearing the mask is a balancing act in itself.