Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!
My roommate, Tina, wrote this and I wanted to share it with you:
Hello Friends and Family,
After five years in Ecuador I tend to think that few things will continue to amaze me about the differences in cultures. And then the time to census the population arrives. I know the US just completed their census, so you all will have good comparison data. I am listing them here for you to read and share with others in shock and reflection.
• The crucial and sensitve census data is placed in the hands of high school students.
• It is scheduled to take place on November 28th during the hours of 7 am to 5 pm. (The entire country will be censo-ed at this time.)
• High school students will go door to door interviewing people through a 6 page survey.
• NO ONE is to leave their houses during this time.
• There will be NO transportation during the scheduled hours. This includes air, bus, or taxi.
• NO store, shopping center or other businesses will be open that day.
• Ley Seca, the law prohibiting any alcohol consumption, will be in place 36 hours before and 12 hours after the census. (Jr ust in case your prior consumption or plans for future consumption may affect your census responses.)
Some census questions and available responses:
1. Where do you dispose of your trash?
a. Street collectors
b. Throw it down a ravine
c. Bury it
d. Put it in a river, the ocean or a lake
e. Burn it
2. What are your house walls constructed out of?
a. Cement block
b. Wood
c. Bamboo
d. Straw or grass
e. Found Materials
What is your house roof constructed out of?
a. cement
b. asbestos
c.metal
d. palm, straw or leaves
e. tile
f. no roof
3. What kind of toileting facilities do you have?
a. in door toilet
b. shared toilet in the building
c. latrine
d. no toilet
4. Where is your toilet waste disposed?
a. public sanitation system
b. septic system
c. directly to a river, ocean or lake
d. ravine
e. buried
These are just to name a few of the interesting topics selected to survey Ecuadorian citizens and residents. What I find the most interesting are the options available as likely behaviors. Sometimes I forget, being surrounded by the upper echelon of citizens, that I live in a country where latrines and grass walls are plausible options. It definately causes a person to stop and think about how blessed they are. Interestingly, there are also over 15 indigenous tribes listed that you can select under Indigenous Ethnicities. Mind you, these are groups of people whose cultures and traditions are alive and well. What a diverse and impoverished country I live in!
Hope all is well and that you have a very Happy Thanksgiving.
Sincerely,
Tina Marie
No comments:
Post a Comment