Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Napkin

He sits next to me on the couch after a few beers, and chokes back tears. “I don’t want her to leave me,” he groans. “I love her… but how can you hurt the person you love the most?”

Her blush deepens as the story is told of a shattered romance and unappreciated sacrifices. She wonders if she should leave him, but looks out the window and quietly states that “the problem is that I love him. I look down the napkin she was twisting has become a ring on her finger.

“Twuu Wuv”, crooned the priest. Yet we grind our teeth, swallow tears, and bury heartache for a happiness that is too often only short lived. How few relationships survive. How many hearts have been shattered into pieces only fit for concrete edifices. How many live in guilt and confusion, blaming themselves for the decisions that take two. Whether the agony is worth the ecstasy seems to vary by lover and the time of day. For now, I sit on the sidelines and count the fallen.

No comments: