Into the throes of my first-year teaching, I have little time to write now. I easily spent over 60 hours at school last week – arriving no later than 7, and leaving no sooner than 5 (one night I stayed until 9!). No, I’m sure many first-year teachers leave sooner and are more organized – for me, however, I feel like a mom who has finally found quiet and time to finish project when her children are in bed. As I become more organized and develop more of a system, I hope to start leaving school at a normal time.
I’ve made some allies, however – the math teacher down the hall, Ms. D____, often stays as late or later than I do. I bumped into the new (also first-year teacher) 7th grade social studies teacher, Ms. A____, the other morning in the copy room. We laughed about how she always sees my van in the parking lot. “It’s good to know I’m not the only person who has to work so much!” As we rushed off to our rooms, I was once again comforted.
I’m not alone.
Others have been here.
I will survive.
No comments:
Post a Comment